Skip to main content

Erosion Control Requirements

Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Permits

RVSS issues different types of Stormwater protection permits depending on a project's area of disturbance. Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control permits are only issued for projects located in RVSS' MS4 Boundary

Permit TypeDisturbance AreaFees
Small Storm Drain Protection Permit0 to 6,999sfFree
Medium Storm Drain Protection Permit7,000sf to 0.99 acres$250
1200-CN and RVSS Permit1.0 to 4.99 acres$1,500 first year,
$750 annual renewal
1200-C Construction Stormwater Discharge Permit5.0+ acres$2,815 first year,
$1,388 annual renewal

Fee Payment: Fees will be invoiced by RVSS once the Stormwater management and erosion control plans are near approval. Fees are payable by check or credit card (MC, Visa, Discover) to RVSS. Credit card payments can only be made in the office.

Application Information

Small Site Storm Drain Protection Permit: Issued by the City in which the project is occurring when the building permit is issued. For projects in Jackson County, download the permit here and email a signed form to RVSS' Stormwater Coordinator Ben Poaster at (

Medium Site Storm Drain Protection Permit: Download the Application Materials and submit completed documents to the District Engineer, and Projects that also require Stormwater Management Plans should have all documents submitted together in accordance with the submittal requirements.  

Projects Disturbing 1 acre or More:

Erosion and Sediment Control Best Management Practices (BMPs)

  • RVSS worked with the Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies to create a field guide of best management practices for use by contractors. Printed copies can be requested from RVSS.
  • RVSS has put together a vendor list for erosion and sediment control products as a convenience to contractors.
  • ACWA Construction Site Stormwater Guide an illustrated guide to best management practices
  • Rainfall Data: The 1200-C permit requires tracking of rainfall data, RVSS has rain gauges located in South Talent, White City and Central Point with real time data available online.
    To Access  rain data from our rain gauge locations, go to  

User name is:
Password is: roguerain1

Start at start menu (lower left corner), data, rainfall.  Choose Calendar, Chart, or Table. 

To change to different stations click the select device button Device Button  at the top of that window.

Inspection of Erosion and Sediment Control BMPs

  • A pre-construction meeting with an RVSS inspector must be held on site to verify proper installation of best management practices prior to starting construction. Contact RVSS to schedule a pre-construction meeting.
  • The designated Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector should complete inspection forms in compliance with the schedule dictated in their 1200C/CN permit. 
  • Inspection forms must be kept on site and submitted to the Agency upon request.
  • The ACWA Construction Site Stormwater Guide includes bulleted lists of what to look for during a maintenance inspection.
  • Corrective Action Plans must be submitted to RVSS whenever a change is made to the approved EPSC plan. You may use the standard form from RVSS, create your own, or submit revised plans.

Permit Transfers

Permits for projects disturbing between one and five acres can be transferred when the original applicant is no longer responsible for the project. Complete the transfer form and email to the Stormwater Program Manager.

Permit Terminations

Permits for projects disturbing more than one acre must be formally terminated. 

  • Ensure the Site is fully stabilized.
  • Call RVSS to schedule a final inspection.
  • If the site passes final inspection, remove all temporary BMPs and properly dispose.
  • Fill out the Notice of Termination form and email to the Stormwater Program Manager.
  • All fees must be paid up in order to terminate.

Certification for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspectors

  • In order to obtain an RVSS or 1200C permit, you must have a certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector listed on your application. Certification is acquired through attendance and passage of an erosion and sediment control inspector class.
  • RVSS offers Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Inspector Certification classes two times each year, in late fall and in May. Class dates are generally set one month ahead of time and posted on our website. To be put on a notification list, please email Ben Poaster at with you Full Name, Email, Organization, and Phone Number.  Please check back regularly to ensure you don't miss registration.
  • RVSS maintains a list of individuals currently certified through our class only.


RVSS Current Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector Certifications