Skip to main content

Sanitary Sewer Q&As

The property owners or residents of a neighborhood who may be experiencing on-going septic problems or who wish to get sewer service should contact RVSS. If sanitary sewer service is needed, a petition should be circulated to ask RVSS for information. More information...

RVSS performs the inspections on sewer service lines if the permit is issued by RVSS.  Gold Hill service lines are inspected by RVSS, as well.

If directly billed by RVSS, contact customer service, and engineering questions can be answered by calling the front office at (541) 779-4144 or (541) 664-6300. If you are experiencing blockage or backups with your system, call the maintenance office at (541) 779-4186.

RVSS has drawings of many (not all) of our customers' service lines (pipes connected to the public sewer) that can be picked up at our office, emailed, faxed, or mailed.

We recommend calling a professional plumber first. If your sewer is found to be clear all of the way to the sewer maintained by RVSS, contact us at (541) 779-4186.

It is the property owner's responsibility to maintain the service lateral free from obstructions, including tree roots.  If a service lateral is damaged and within the public right-of-way, RVSS will make the repair.

RVSS does maintain a handful of the pump systems throughout the service area. If you are unsure if RVSS maintains yours, the best thing to do is call RVSS before calling someone else to make any repairs. We will be able to tell you if the pump system on your property is one that we maintain.

A STEP system is a Septic Tank Effluent Pump system, and a STEG system is a Septic Tank Effluent Gravity system. These systems hold the solid waste and transport the liquid waste from your house to our mainline using a pump (STEP) or by gravity flow (STEG).  An E-1 Grinder Pump sends all waste from the building to the public sewer.